Tuesday, January 09, 2007

You need a blog...

This is what a good freind of mine told me today at lunch.

I promptly replied, "I have a blog. I just never have time to update it."

And that really brings us to the crux of the matter doesn't it? I mean, I'm just so busy that I never seem to have any "me" time for things like blogging.

I'm not busy in the single parent of six working two jobs to make ends meet while going to night school to get a PhD in quantum physics kinda busy. I'm about as busy as you are. Maybe a little more or a little less but mostly about as busy as your average person.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm grateful that I have a full schedule. I'm active in my church, I have an awsome family, a career I actually enjoy and friends I can hang out with from time to time. I'm grateful for all of these things and the time to enjoy them. If I didn't have a full schedule it would be because some of these, and other important, things were missing. That would be a Bad Thing.

When I say I'm too busy to blog I guess I mean that after all of the high-priority life things are taken care of and I find myself with an hour or two of responsibility-less time on my hands I have trouble choosing the thing to do next. Do I catch up on that book I've been putting off? (I have about a dozen in the queue.) Or maybe the latest episode of whatever that TiVo has been holding for a couple of months now? Then there's that DVD still in the shrink-wrap. Or maybe that those pet Java projects that I've been tapping away at for a year or more. And, oh yea, the blog.

My friend who recommended that I get a blog knows me well. I have many opinions, insights and so forth that I would like to share. Some are truly useful while others are probably useless.

So, here is my first entry of '07. With luck it will be the first of many. Let's just hope I don't get distracted by... Oh! Shiny thing. Gotta go!

1 comment:

dderry said...

Hey, I hope that there aren't *too* many shiney things around your place! Knowing you as I do, I am certain that your blog will be entertaining as well as educational. I know that *I* always learn a lot from our conversations.

But I do sympathize with you. I am probably less busy than many, but never seem to find time for the things that I would like to do. Whenever I manage to cross something off my todo list (rarely) I actually celebrate; never mind the dozen or so entries that have been added in the meantime. I am in awe of the guys who hold down a full-time job, write books, contribute to open-source, write magazine articles, post to forums, maintain a blog, and still manage to have a family life (of some sort).

But anyway I'll keep goading you on if your posting rate doesn't seem to be up to snuff. ;-}